Celgene Senior Director, Corporate Communications and Internal Communications, Europe and International Markets in Hillingdon, United Kingdom
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Senior Director of Corporate Communications and Internal Communications, Europe and International Markets, is responsible for cultivating and maintaining the positive perception of Celgene and its initiatives across a broad range of stakeholders including media, legislators, advocates, investors, employees and the general public. As part of the Corporate Affairs team, the Senior Director of Corporate Communications, Europe and International Markets, will work with executive staff, brand communications, disease and product teams, government affairs, advocacy relations, market access and other relevant functions to define and execute our overall global corporate communications strategy and specific objectives for Europe and International markets. The Senior Director of Corporate Communications and Internal Communications, Europe and International Markets, will be the primary information source for media contacts requesting company information (working alongside brand communications), and will manage the development, implementation and coordination of corporate communications initiatives, with the goal of gaining and maintaining recognition in all markets outside the US for our company and contributions to healthcare. The role includes establishing our thought leadership throughout industry, government, public and financial venues; ensuring issues preparedness; managing company communications and positions on key topics; and overseeing all employee communications across the markets, to reinforce Celgene messages and priorities. Extensive travel in Europe is required in this role.
Role and Responsibilities
Manage Corporate Communications campaigns to support key Celgene corporate objectives
• Develop and implement corporate campaigns that deliver on Celgene objectives and business priorities, driving Celgene reputation and recognition among key stakeholders; may include topics such as value of medicines debate, access to medicines, culture, contributions to health, pipeline, etc. Close alignment with Global teams on development.
• Work with brand communications teams to support disease and brand specific messages via corporate channels and outreach
• Establish and implement a Celgene brand and thought leadership strategy to position Celgene among key corporate affairs audiences on issues that matter to the company and to the external world in Europe and International markets; align with Global to ensure broad reach and resonance.
• Establish communications approach to crisis and issues preparedness by corporate and market teams, including implementation of global process, development of template materials and resources, training of key spokespeople, implementation as needed, continual refinement and testing of approach
• Support global approach to Corporate Social Responsibility and develop regional CSR strategy, programs and opportunities that meet Europe and International market needs; work with global team on CSR strategy for lower-income countries, including programs like Access Accelerated, Global Health, etc.
• Establish and champion Celgene brand messaging and corporate positioning in Europe and International markets; refine existing materials in Europe, establish materials for International markets; align with Global teams and US materials to ensure one voice; roll-out to affiliates and ensure understanding, support and implementation
• Work closely with R&D, Global Health, and other related teams to develop creative and integrated programs to support scientific thought leadership of Celgene
• Ensure excellence in media and communications materials, including development, writing, style, tone, approval: Press releases, bulletins, flyers, media fact sheets, Core Message documents, Q&As, holding statements and reactive statements, ad copy, speeches, reports, brochures, position papers, feature articles and related publicity materials, and website management; input into brand materials for corporate positioning and messaging; also manage all SOPs and processes for media relations.
• Develop and implement short-and long-term strategies for proactive media relations programs across markets to favorably position opportunities within the trade, business and financial press, as well as social media and other channels. Work in concert with brand communications to maximize opportunities across company, franchises, diseases, products.
• Support global Social Media and Digital Strategy and establish approach for Europe and International markets, working closely with Global SM and Digital leads, brand communications, local markets in Europe and international.
Manage relationships with key stakeholders
• Day-to-day management of press enquiries and coordination of responses, interviews; analysis of opportunities according to impact and benefit to business objectives (closely aligned with brand communications to ensure appropriate focus for brand and corporate topics). With support from full Communications team.
• Maintain strong relationships with targeted health, science and pharmaceutical industry correspondents: create creative communication opportunities to stimulate journalists’ interest in Celgene business opportunities and priorities.
• Develop relationships with press office of key institutions as well as with advocacy, KOLs, COEs and patient representatives that are media trained and aligned to deliver key corporate messages relevant to Celgene priorities; align with brand communications
• Serve as communications lead for relationships with key industry groups and organizations representing Europe and international markets, including EFPIA, Access Accelerated, etc.
Manage public relations consultants and agencies
• Ensure PR consultants are fully briefed and managed on Corporate Communications objectives, providing strategic direction and day-to-day management.
• Maximize relationships with agencies to develop new ideas and opportunities to meet Celgene objectives
• Continually source new ideas, resources, agency expertise to meet business objectives
Oversee all employee communications for Europe and international, ensuring awareness and understanding of Celgene priorities and opportunities
• Set internal communications strategy for Europe and international, aligned to global strategy and focus and specific local needs
• Oversee strategy and implementation of content and logistics for Town Halls, management communications, employee events, change management/HR topics, patient and physician testimonials, Intranet stories, Intranet management.
• Partner with brand communications to align all content and ensure cohesive story flow and communications to employees
• Develop engaging and informative programs for employees to ensure they understand and support corporate priorities and themes
• Work closely with Global internal communications and digital teams to leverage all channels for Europe and international markets
Support Europe and International affiliates in communications and capability building
• Work with local teams to leverage corporate communications programs locally
• Support affiliates on issues and crisis communications, ensuring strong plan and process and local spokespeople
• Support training and management of local spokespeople
• Help develop affiliates in communications skills and knowledge, specifically in corporate communications topics, such as reputation, thought-leadership, corporate branding, CSR, digital and social, internal communications.
• Support affiliates in International markets, and make connections with other teams where needed (such as brand communications)
Oversee all Swiss media outreach, in partnership with Swiss affiliate; ensure appropriate recognition and awareness of Celgene in its regional HQ country of Switzerland
• Serve as press office and first point of contact for Swiss media inquiries
• Develop programs and outreach opportunities specific to Europe/regional and local Swiss opportunities
• Participate with the Government Relations team in developing and maintaining connections to Swiss politicians at the Federal and Cantonal levels
Oversee European Leadership Meeting and any international Leadership meetings, including logistics, communications, overall objectives and approach (with EMEA/International Operations President)
Participate in the development of the Company's global communications strategy to ensure effective messaging across all disciplines and markets
• Develop internal understanding of PR discipline including developing training programs
• Support all disciplines within the Corporate Affairs function, namely: market access, government relations and patient advocacy.
• Represent EMEA and International perspectives and needs to Global communications and Investor Relations teams
Participate in special Global projects that have a significant impact in Europe and International markets
• May include iKU, Access Accelerated, Global Health, Global CSR strategy
Manage corporate communications team for EMEA and International markets
• one EMEA Associate Director, Corporate Communications
• one Associate Manager, Internal Communications
Skills and Experience required
The candidate should have a minimum of 10 years experience within corporate communications, ideally for a biotech, pharmaceutical or life science company.
The ideal candidate will also have:
• BS or Degree in communications or life sciences
• Multilingual in two or more languages (German, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, etc.)
• Demonstrable People management experience
• “Battle tested” experienced in navigating company transformations
• Good judgment and intuition
• Dynamic professional with ability to inspire confidence with whom he/she interacts
• An outstanding communicator with strong oral and written skills, in addition to strong presentation and listening skills
• Self-starter and collaborative team player
Key Characteristics for Success
Is a quick study; adds personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution, given the situation; uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques.
Creating the New and Different
Is creative and can manage innovation; full of ideas and possibilities; has broad interests and knowledge; can both create and bring exciting ideas to market; comfortable speculating about alternative futures without all of the data.
Keeping on Point
Can quickly separate the mission-critical from the nice to dos and the trivials; quickly senses what's the next most useful thing to work on; focuses on the critical tasks that really add value.
Leading and Inspiring
Providing strong leadership and guidance to team and organization, with a focus on inspiring and bringing the best out of individuals and the full team, to deliver programs and outcomes that are stronger as a cross-functional activity than the sum of individual contributions
Dealing with Trouble
Fearlessly takes on all issues, challenges, and people; comfortably confronts and works through conflict; thrives in crises and is energized by tough challenges.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
Approaches everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything.
Being Organizationally Savvy
Maneuvers well to get things done; knows where to go to get what he/she needs; politically aware and agile; knows what the right thing to do.
Being Open and Receptive
At ease and relaxed; easy to talk to and get to know; listens attentively
If our spirit and culture sounds like the kind of environment where you can succeed, then we would like to meet you. Take the next step in your career and apply by submitting your CV/Resume.
Salary range: £110K – 130K plus benefits.
Please note that the closing date for all applications is – 27 September 2017.
Senior Director, Corporate Communications and Internal Communications, Europe and International Markets
Location: Hillingdon, England, UK
Job ID: 17001761