Celgene Senior Director, Scientific Education in Summit, New Jersey
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Senior Director, Scientific Education heads up the Scientific Education function which is an integral part of Corporate Medical Affairs (CMA), the department responsible for all aspects of medical communication. This person is accountable for all aspects of the Scientific Education team including strategy, long range planning, annual education plans and their execution across therapeutic areas of interest and ensures compliance with current legal, regulatory, and company requirements as well as industry standards, primarily for the US but is responsible for fostering a worldwide community of practice among internal colleagues in similar roles.
Develops and leads a high performing-team that collaborates within and supports a matrix organization. Ensures each therapeutic lead within Scientific Education serves as a strong leaders of their respective therapeutic area(s) and represents the best practices and industry standards for their function. Chairs the Grant Review Committees (GRC) and establishes strong collaborative working relationships with medical affairs, legal and compliance stakeholders to ensure awareness and alignment of the scientific education plans with the research, data communication and business plans across all therapeutic areas. Partners with outcomes manager to ensure grant outcomes/evaluation data is reviewed, interpreted, and shared to further support the value proposition.
Responsible for the development/enhancement and implementation of policies, procedures, and processes for the department to ensure compliance with current legal, regulatory and company requirements for scientific education. Oversees all financial and contractual aspects of the team, including vendor negotiations. Oversees the development of annual budgets for disease teams and monitors the management of monthly spend within allocated budget.
In addition, is responsible for supporting the development and training of employees within the department through performance coaching, development discussions and mentoring. Develops and trains staff to achieve their maximum potential based on their needs and that of the organization.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, thefollowing:
1. Works closely with the head of Corporate Medical Affairs to develop and lead a high performing team that collaborates within and supports a global organization across all therapeutic franchises.
2. Accountable for all aspects of the Scientific Education team including strategy, long range planning, and execution for the hematology, oncology, and inflammation/ immunology therapeutic area franchises.
3. Establishes strong collaborative working relationships with US/global grant review teams across all therapeutic areas of focus and assists in fostering relationships for the respective Scientific Education therapeutic leads. Builds strong cross functional collaborations to ensure awareness and alignment of the strategic and tactical Scientific Education plans.
4. Responsible for the development, enhancement and implementation of policies, procedures, and processes for the department to ensure compliance with current legal, regulatory, and company requirements for Scientific Education on a US and regional level including but not limited to the ACCME Standards for Commercial Support, PhRMA, FDA and OIG Codes.
- Serves as chair of the grant review committee and oversees the process for US educational grants/OSEs/fellowships and regional reviews in support of corporate policies and SOPs. Oversee review of translational/preclinical requests globally including budget tracking in collaboration with ADRC (Alliance Development Review Committee) and coordinator.
6. Provides feedback on industry practices/regulatory changes to Medical Affairs/Legal/Compliance leadership to ensure the highest standards are maintained.
- Overseesgrants management system for reporting, accountability, compliance andefficiencies. Foster collaboration between CMA and enterprise widedatabase system owners to build and /or link systems including reportingdashboards.
8. Maintains a high level of knowledge in HCP education including adult learning and aggregation and analysis of outcomes data. Oversees outcomes manager to ensure grant outcomes/evaluation data is reviewed, interpreted, and presented to key stakeholders and members of GRC by therapeutic specific managers.
Fosters relationships and builds a community of practice with colleagues in similar roles worldwide to share best practices, optimize processes, and communicates industry trends that may affect the group. Establishes an annual forum/preceptorship on a global level.
Acts as liaison/represents Scientific Education at intra- and interdepartmental meetings, participating in decisions that impact the overall medical support of disease specific initiatives. Fosters relationships with key internal business partners to ensure awareness of company issues that may potentially affect the group
11. Collaborates with internal business partners and CMA leadership team to continually seek efficiencies and process improvements to maximize resources.
- Develops and trains team to achieve their maximum potential based on their needs and the needs of the organization through performance coaching, development and mentoring. Manages personnel decisions including performance appraisal process for direct reports. Participates in management development and training initiatives to meet current and future business needs
13. Facilitates the development of a department annual budget through oversight and direction of each therapeutic lead. This includes analysis of team workload and resource requirements, estimates for work by vendors and software and/or hardware expenditures. Manages annual budget and works within allocated resources. Works with Finance, Outsourcing and Legal to secure appropriate department-related contracts and agreements.
14. Performs other responsibilities as requested by management.
Conducts business in accordance with CelgeneValues. Completes all assigned SOPsand training within designated timeframe and adheres to job-specific SOPsand work instructions.
Dedicated to continuous learning to broaden therapeuticarea knowledge and pharmaceutical industry acumen.
Identifies and reports any adverse events (AEs) inaccordance with corporate policy and procedures.
Assists in the overall training of new ScientificEducation personnel and ensures key activities are incorporated as part ofthe training.
Attends external meetings and educational seminars toenhance functional expertise, therapeutic area knowledge and broadenpharmaceutical industry experience.
Some travel required.
Bachelor’s degree required, Scientific and/or medicaldiscipline preferred.
At least 12-15 years of experience within the healthcareindustry with 5-10 years of medical education experience; majority beingpharmaceutical industry-based.
Relevant therapeutic background preferred.
People management and strong leadership experience required.
Demonstratedability to lead strategically, drive performance, build alignment, inform,negotiate and collaborate across Scientific Education team as well as crossfunctional stakeholders.
Knowledgeablein medical education including global trends, adult learning principles,educational design and outcomes. Excellent written, verbal and interpersonalcommunication skills
Flexible,with positive attitude, strong ability to multi task, prioritize projectseffectively and communicate at all levels within the company
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Senior Director, Scientific Education
Location: Summit, NJ, US
Job ID: 17001538